SC - poppy seed oil

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 18 22:00:29 PDT 1999

I am planning on trying the saffron wafers in "Food and Drink in Medieval
Poland" tomorrow. In the recipe it calls for poppy seed oil to coat the
wafer iron.

All I could find today, in my large specialty store Central Market, and
my regular HRB grocery was olive oil (lots of olive oils), seseme oil,
walnut oil, almond oil and some more modern ones (I assume) such as
safflower oil, peanut oil, sunflower seed oil and some others.

I bought some almond oil because I thought my first choice, walnut
oil might lend too much nut taste. As this oil is in direct contact
with the wafer, the taste may matter. Can anyone tell me if poppyseed
oil has much of a taste and if so, what it is? Should I use olive oil?
I have no idea if these different oils have different smoke points
and whether it would matter in this application.

The wafer iron does have a non-stick coating. Should I just omit the
oil?

Thanks.
  Stefan
- --