SC - SC REC Bara Brith (Welsh)

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 21:55:18 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Henry of Maldon says:
>  I don't know if the Welsh documentation goes back that far, but something
>  much like this was known in later Renaissance England as Great Cakes, Spice
>  Cakes, Banbury Cakes, or simply Cakes.

"Bara Brith" isn't a cake it's a bread.  Bara being the Welsh word for bread.
 The consistency of "Bara Brith" is like that of a nut bread with raisins in
it, and it's sliced and buttered like a loaf.

"Teisen Lap", which is a cake (Teisen) baked on a plate or a bakestone, is
probably the most prevelant traditional cake recipe we have in Wales.  It
uses bicarbonate of soda or baking powder rather than ale barm.  I had posted
the recipe previously, but will willingly post the recipe again if people
wish me to.  :-)

Elysant