SC - Ras' Church lesson for the day

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 19 05:21:03 PDT 1999

ana l. valdes wrote:

> Must kindly remind the Church Ras ment was not the Holy Catholic Rome
> Mother Church, without the Church of Rome, with a Pantheon full av
> mesopotamian and perses and greeks gods and godesses.
> The "holy harlots" is specially a cult related to Ashtarte, a godess
> related to Venus, and whose priestess served as holy harlots in the
> temples.
> Kind regards
> Ana

True, for Apicius' time- but, I believe that Ras was refering )in
general) to the Middle AGes, per se, when the Roman Church DID own and
administer houses of ill repute- including a most infamous one in
Southwark (the Times Square of the MA) in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Anything to make a buck.

Delightful and fascinating book on the subject:

_Medieval Prostitution_ by Jacques Rossiaud (Blackwell, Cambridge Mass.,
1995).

have fun-

'Lainie
- -channeling Queen Carmen, who has very sore feet, can hardly move her
ams, whose face has frozen into a permanent grin and who discovered that
the dye on the red feather boa is NOT colorfast- except on skin! But
life is good when you're a SLUG Queen! Got to ride in a fancy
convertible and wave at lots of lovely subjects...