SC - Orange Omelette - original recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 19 10:16:23 PDT 1999

"ana l. valdes" wrote:

> But dear Ras: my observation wanted only point out the "Church" at that
> days was not the "Church" we know from the Rennaissance, but a very
> mixed up combination of old practices and foreigner traditions taken
> from far places, from Jerusalen to Babylon. And I believed the recipe
> from Redon was taken from Apicius book, my misstake :)
> Ana

It's from "Le 'Register du Cuisine' de Jean de Bockenheim. cuisinier de
pape Martin V," edited by Bruno Larioux, in Mélanges de l'Ecole francais
de Rome (Moyen Age, temps Modernes) 100, no 2 (1988): 709-60.

It's true, though, that Church practice and policy (and it must be
stressed that there was no time from the foundation of the Roman Church
that it's been especially static) was different in the early Middle Ages
from what it later became, and is today.

In the "Apician period" (which may have been at any time up until the
seventh century or so) ties to Rome were not always especially strong in
the rest of Western Europe. Priests were not always expected to be
celibate, and many married. Oddly enough, this was often considered far
less important than the _really_ big issues like the shape of the monk's
tonsure and the date of Easter... ;  ) .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com