SC - SC: REC Teisen Lap

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sun Sep 19 10:45:49 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Here are three recipes for Teisen Lap.  The first is baked in a shallow tin,
the second is cooked on a bakestone, and the third is baked either in a Dutch
oven before an open fire, or in an oblong tin.  In our area of Wales
(Southern Powys)  we always bake the cake in the oven on a large plate.
Recipe 1 is closest to the way my mother makes it.

Elysant

Teisen Lap - recipe 1

1 lb flour
4 oz lard
4 oz margarine
2 heaped tablespoonsfuls baking powder
7 oz sugar
8 oz currants
3 eggs
A little nutmeg

Pub the fat into the flour and add the dry ingredients.  Add the well beaten
eggs and enough milk to have a soft mixture.  Bake in a moderate oven, using
a shallow tin.

Teisen Lap Recipe 2 - [baked using  a bakestone]

1 lb flour
4 oz fat
4 oz brown sugar
4 oz mixed fruit
1/2 teaspoon spice
1/2 teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda (dissolved in milk)
1 egg
1/2 pint of buttermilk or sour milk

Rub the fat into the flour, add sugar, fruit, spice; mix well together.  Add
the beaten egg and the milk and beat to a soft dough.  Divide the dough and
roll out to an inch in thickness; bake on a bakestone or hotplate; time about
15 minutes, when nicely brown one side, turn them over.

Teisen Lap - recipe 3

This cake should be baked in a Dutch oven before an open fire to make it in
the traditional Welsh way but the results are just as good if you bake it in
a well greased oblong tin (spread the mixture thinly) in a moderate oven for
about 35 - 40 minutes.

1 lb flour
1 teaspoonful baking powder
Pinch of Salt
A little grated nutmeg
4 oz butter
4 oz sugar
4 oz dried fruit (sultanas and currants)
3 eggs
1/2 pint milk (sour milk is delicious)

Sieve flour, baking-powder, salt and nutmeg,  Rub in lightly butter, add
sugar and fruit, whisk the eggs, and add to mixture.  Gradually add the milk,
mixing all with a wooden spoon.  The consistency should be soft enough for
the batter to drop from the spoon.