SC - It's Harvest Time

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 07:15:42 PDT 1999

>From: kerric at pobox.alaska.net (Kerri Canepa)
Snip..

>There's a problem, though. I've searched through some of my historic cook
>books
>and I'm having difficulty finding recipes which use carrots (or parsnips
>for
>that matter), turnips, and beets. I've found various recipes which use the
>greens and a recipe in Miscellany that uses radishes in a candy.
>
>Were these root vegetables so common that they were not included in the
>cook
>books? I'd really like to go back and get more (we're looking to try to
>store
>these vegetables for use in January for 12th Night) but I'm not sure how
>much to
>get since I don't have recipes that use them.
>
>Your help would be very much appreciated.
>
>Kerri
>Cedrin Etainnighean, OL

snip

I have noticed a few responses in reference to this "problem" on the list,
and here is another: (Note: I don't have the specific information with me at
work, but one of the Scully books has some regional recipes in the back. I
will post original recipes when I get homefrom work.)  Two of the recipes
reference root vegetables: Amored Tunips, and a Summer Compote of Pears.
The compote is a very good vegetarian type dish with a sweet/sour flavor. It
has many roots as well as the pears in it!

Caitlin of Enniskillen