SC - It's Harvest Time

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 15:59:12 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/18/99 1:41:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kerric at pobox.alaska.net writes:

<< There's a problem, though. I've searched through some of my historic cook
books
 and I'm having difficulty finding recipes which use carrots (or parsnips for
 that matter), turnips, and beets. >>

Look for recipes specifying "rapes" for turnips.  The recipe below is for
turnips, parsnips, or skirrets (I substituted carrots for the skirrets, and
mixed all three veggies together).  The recipe just specifies "good broth"; I
used vegetable broth because I wanted it to be a vegetarian dish.

RAPES IN POTAGE
from Curye on Inglysch, English, 14th century
as redacted by Duke Cariadoc of the Bow
and adapted by Lady Brangwayna Morgan

Takes rapus and make heem clene, and waissh hem clene;  quarter hem; perboile
hem,
take hem vp.  Cast hem in a gode broth and seethe hem; mynce oynouns and cast
therto
safroun and salt, and messe it forth with powdour douce.  In the self wise
make of
pastunakes and skyrwittes.

1 lb turnips, carrots, and parsnips mixed       6 threads saffron      powder
douce: 2 t sugar
2 cups vegetable broth                                 3/4 t salt
                 3/8 t cinnamon
1/2 lb onions
                           3/8 t ginger

Wash, peel, and quarter turnips (or cut into eighths if they are large),
cover with boiling
water and parboil for 15 minutes.  Clean carrots and parsnips and cut them up
into large
bite-size pieces and parboil 10 minutes.  Mince onions.  Drain veggies and
put them with
onions and vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil.  Crush saffron into
about 1 t of the
broth and add seasonings to potage.  Cook another 15-20 minutes, until
vegetables are
soft to a fork and some of the liquid is boiled down.

Brangwayna