SC - Catfish

Helen helen at directlink.net
Mon Sep 20 21:55:13 PDT 1999

I never heard the cold water thing or the dark flesh thing.... We eat all kinds
of fresh water fish all year around.   I come from a long line of fishermen and
my dad's brother is one of the top three competitive bass fishermen from the
state of Louisiana.
    In Louisiana there is nothing we like better than a fresh wild catfish.  I
have had many catfish, minutes from the bayou/river with no muddy taste, EVER,
any time of year.  My daddy says that is because he bleeds them first.  He hangs
them on a tree to make it easier to skin them and drains them.   He says that
gets rid of the mud taste.  Also, he will only keep the blue cats (looks black to
me but they are called blue)  not the mud cats that are brownish. There is
nothing in life as good as fried catfish that is less than an hour from the bayou
in my family's backyard.