SC - Spaetzle recipe OOP

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:10:52 PDT 1999

Stefan,

you _bought_ some Spaetzle mix?  I didn't realise it was possible.

The recipe I was taught when living in southern Germany runs as follows:

for four people (if you eat like my lord and not like me)
5 cups white flour (preferably strong)
4 eggs
enough water to make a stirrable dough (but not runny)

Stir it.  When it's all mixed together, beat it until it sparkles (nice
description - the one I was given by the people I lived with).

Wet a cutting board and a knife.  Bundle all the dough onto the board and
put the bowl and spoon to soak immediately.  This stuff sets like concrete.
Scrape in little lines of about 1/4 in thick and maybe 2 in long, into
simmering salted water.  They will sink to the bottom and rise as they are
cooked.  Wet the knife periodically in the cooking water to remove the
clogged bits.  Don't do too many at once (I find half a cup or so is about
right) or they will stick together, and fish them out with a slotted spoon
when they've had a few seconds' floating, otherwise they turn to porridge.
Don't forget to soak the board and knife.

If you make this kind of quantity I find there are always some left over,
and the accepted way in my Schwaebisch household to use them up was either
to heat some broth with herbs and chuck in the Spaetzle at the last minute,
or to smother them with cheese, bacon and anything else you can think of and
put them under the grill.

So does anyone know why they are called Spaetzle, and does it have anything
to do with sparrows (or sparrow droppings, as a former boyfriend once
cheerfully told me)?

Cairistiona