SC - spaetzle

Tue Sep 21 07:05:05 PDT 1999

Considering that spaetzle is a small, cut or sieved drop noodle, the odds
are good that it was done in period.  The problem is a recipe specifically
describing a spaetzle-like pasta has yet to be found.

Ein Buch von Guter Speise appears to avoid dumplings and pasta totally.
Sabina Welserin has three dumpling recipes, two of which are for filled
dumplings.  The third is most interesting as it is a flourless batter recipe
(119).  The recipe says nothing about how the dumplings are to be shaped,
but the description of the dough as a batter suggests that these are drop
dumplings.  This recipe isn't close to spaetzle, but it might make an
interesting substitution.

I don't have my recipes handy, but (IIRC) spaetzle is eggs, flour and a
little salt worked into a soft dough then rolled out and cut into 1/4" x 1
1/2" strips, or more commonly these days, forced through a ricer and cut off
about every 1 1/2".  Cook in boiling water or broth for about 10 minutes or
until they float.

Bear

For the curious, the recipe from Sabina Welserin as translated by Valoise
Armstrong:

119 If you would make boiled dumplings

Then take chard, as much as you like, some sage, marjoram and rosemary, chop
it together, also put grated cheese into it and beat eggs therein until you
think that it is right. Take also cinnamon, cloves, pepper and raisins and
put them into the dumpling batter. Let the dumplings cook, as one cooks a
hard-boiled egg, then they are ready.