SC - camp breakfasts

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:54:13 PDT 1999

This past weekend I did my first encampment breakfast.  Originally for a
cabin of 8, I agreed to include another cabin of 8 that was mostly
newcomers, college students with no access to a store beforehand or a car to
drive to town for breakfast the day of. Here's what I served

Saturday Breakfast
Coffee, Tea, Hot cocoa, Orange Juice or milk
Scrambled Eggs
Homemade Bread
Butter, Homemade Blueberry and Strawberry Jams, store-bought grape jam and
apple butter, Peanut Butter
I also bought instant oatmeal and cream of wheat.

Saturday Lunch (a cold spread of munchables)
Bread and toppings
Cheese
Fresh Fruit
The senkanjabin and cherry syrup drinks I made last month.
and boiled eggs because several of the newcomers didn't show and something
had to be done with the remaining eggs)

Sunday Breakfast is a much simpler meal, so people can get on the road.
Coffee, Tea, Hot cocoa, Orange Juice or milk
Banana Bread with Pecans
Brown Bread with Dates
Cinnamon Raisin Bread
all the toppings above, plus cream cheese for the date bread
Bread, Fruit, Cheese from the day before.

It's the first time our group of friends has organized anything like this. I
spent the week baking up 10 lbs of flour into all those goodies. I baked 4
double size loaves of bread (that's the size of my pottery baker) 1
doublesize raisin bread, and double recipes of the banana and brown breads.
It all went over pretty well, it was nice to get most everyone in one place
at the beginning of the day.  And for me it was a nice change of pace to
start the day with a full tummy!  Made me a much more agreeable person all
day.  I had collected $5 per person, which should have been more than
enough. Floyd, however, meant that the shelves were empty of the lower cost
instant coffees, peanut butter, flour, sugar, and so on so I ended up
overspending.  Oh well.

I was surprised on Sunday driving back east from the NC mountains where the
event was to see so many power trucks heading west.  I couldn't imagine how
they had finished enough to send the linemen home so soon.  Then we stopped
for lunch, saw the newspaper and read about all the flooding.  Group of
linemen came in, quite dejected at being sent home with the job undone
because they couldn't GET to the work for the water. They obviously felt so
bad at not being able to help.

Bonne