Prosciutto (was Re: SC - Margali butchers Rudolph the red nose reindeer)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Wed Sep 22 06:18:52 PDT 1999

My understanding of Prosciutto di Parma is that it is cured only with salt and hung in open air in that particular region of Italy.  American versions use spices, nitrates, and sugar in the curing brines.

On a different subject, I have had great success recently with smoking on my gas grill.  I did 12# of pork shoulder as well as 12# of pork sausage that I stuffed using the Le Menagier 'recipe'.  It took about 3 hours to hot smoke the sausages and another 4 hours for the pork hunks (too small a grill to do all at once).  Apple smoke is the bomb for pork!!

Help, I am being surrounded by my son's mechanical walking dancing and
acrobatic Rudolf toys singing "kill the feast a crate kill the feast a crate!"

Seriously

I have always thought of the upper rear leg of an animal as a ham regardless
of species. Is not Prosciutto (Ps, spell check wants to turn Prosciutto into
Prostitute) cooked by its processing as a salted/smoked meat unlike Steak
tartar which only cuts up the meat Vs changing its nature by the addition of
salt and other herbs?