SC - OT-OOP-bread help!

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 08:02:38 PDT 1999

>Esteemed bread bakers- help!
>1) the heat today. But that shouldn't matter, should it? And why would
>the dough be sticky?

The closer to blood warm the medium is, the faster the yeasties beasties
work, also on hot and humid days, I work the bread a lot less because the
increased heat and humidity along with the hyperactive
yeast can cause the gluten strands to break down, resulting in stickiness as
well from the starches.  Mix, knead, rise, pound, rise,
pound, bake.  As little contact as possible after the kneading.

>2) I might have miscounted the cups of flour that I was kneading in. >But
>if there was too much, why was it sticky? And if there was too >little, why
>was there so much dough?

see previous commentary.

>3) I looked at the bottle- I got dark molasses instead of light. But
>that should only be a taste difference, no? Would it affect the >dough? The
>recipe doesn't specify dark or light either. I also double >checked-and
>unless the bottle is doing a 'widow's cruse' miracle, I > used the correct
>amount and not accidentally too much.

Okay, darkeer molasses aren't just darker, they have less water in them than
lighter molasses or cane syrups.  More sugar for the yeast
at a higher temperature means a poofy Cthulian bread-stuff.  I had a
similiar thing happen this weekend myself, but I was using pre-made dough (I
wasn't home and in a foreign kitchen, so forgive me) and I was cursing it
for being sticky, overly elastic, and rising very fast.
Also, barometric pressure plays a small part as well, less weight on the
dough and the faster it rises.

(I once had a rye that tried to eat my counter-top in the summer)

>This is very frustrating- as a baker I've always been rather proud of >my
>bread. To totally blow a batch is humiliating. And the shekels are >few and
>far between enough around here that a mistake like this is >not good-and
>no, it doesn't taste all that great either. Bummer.

probably has a vaguely fermented, sour taste to it as well?

>Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just go back to the tried and
>true potato bread that the kids inhale in an afternoon?

Yeah, try this: cut back your molasses a bit and your yeast as well. Heavier
breads like that usually are winter fare, so you can proof your bread in the
fridge, or a cool spot in the house to limit the yeast's activity and keep
it from going nuts on the molasses.

(btw, bread is one of my hobbies *grins*)

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"Dream of the the pictures
That run in the night
See us together
Chasing the moonlight"