SC - prices in 1520

Wed Sep 22 08:39:49 PDT 1999

The English currency system is based on Troy weights of silver.  The Troy
system was common to the European realms and was used to convert currency
and provide standard values, so what looks to be English currency really is
a value measured by a specific weight of silver.

By Christina's statement, the mite ("m") is 1/24 of a penny, making it equal
to a grain.  The mite is also an old Flemish coin and an old English coin.
I don't know about the value of the Flemish mite, but the English mite is
1/2 farthing.

A farthing is 1/4 penny, making it equivalent to 6 grains, thus the English
mite is equivalent to 3 grains.

Bear