SC - Ham

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Sep 22 17:17:41 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/22/1999 7:59:37 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<<
 and though you can have fresh ham, usually the word also indicates that the
 meat has been cured with salt, whether dry or in brine, and may or may not
 have been smoked as well. >>

That has not been my experience, that would probably be a local variant.
To me, Ham is the cut.  It usually indicates to me the hip and attached thigh
of pork (the meat of any member of the suidae family).  If it is smoked, it
is "smoked ham" ; if salt cured, then "Cured Ham" or "Virginia Ham," or even
"Salt cured ham", if treated with brown sugar, then "Sugar Cured Ham",
Just "ham" means to me that it's uncured, or "Fresh Ham"

Mordonna