SC - bacteria

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 23 21:47:01 PDT 1999

Richard Kappler II wrote:

> Cadoc wrote:
>
>> When you're hot smoking you need to keep the temperature around 280F (130C?
>> mental guess) to kill any bacteria.  I know bacteria aren't period,
but our
>> immune systems aren't as strong as our elders.

<snip>

> Anyway, the point being, we of the navular bent keep our distilling temps
> above 168 F to kill the bacteria.  Below that, not everything dies.  Mind
> you, temperature does little against virus in this range.  Dunno if this
> applies, but I imagine that bacteria is bacteria is bacteria, and if you've
> made potable water in some of the places I've had to and lived, 168 F seems
> like a pretty good number.

I guess there's safety and then there's safety, like the fact that
trichinosis is killed at an internal temperature of 137 degrees F. (140
being a standard temp for rare meat), but many books still advocate
cooking pork to an internal temperature of 190 degrees F.

Alternately, could this be the equivalent of setting an oven temperature
to get a lower internal temperature? 290 degree air to get 168 or more
inside your meat?

It occurs to me that if this were really such a big deal, why is cold
smoking, with temperatures above 40 degrees F but below 140 degrees F,
not illegal, with all the silly stuff they're legislating to effectively
outlaw rare meat and edibly soft eggs in many parts of the U.S.?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com