SC - Ham

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:56:59 PDT 1999

><<  Me, I'm perfectly happy for there to be two
>  or more acceptable dictionary definitions.  >>
>
>Me, too.  I was just pointing out that not everyone assumed the meat had
>been
>cured, just because it was called "ham."  I do have a question, though.  If
>you go to your butcher and want to order some uncured flesh from the hip or
>thigh of any of the animals ham comes from, what do you ask for?
>
>Mordonna

I would order "fresh ham"  or more likely, I would pick up a usefully sized
pre-packaged lump of pig with a label that says "fresh ham".  Butchers and
ordering being not the usual method around here.  It can be done that way at
Wellspring or Fowlers, but you and arm and a ham for the priviledge.

Bonne