SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 17:52:01 PDT 1999

Greetings everyone,

I am Hauviette d'Anjou a 15C French woman who follows the writings of
Christine de Pizan. I have also been known to show up at as Corcain Mor Nic
Diarmaid, a very visible early period Celt (she likes her spear).

I have been participating in SCA activities for about 8 years now, and have
been active in cooking for about 4-5 of them. I have worked on several
periods( Celtic,Viking,  Romano British, Roman, French 14-15C, English
14-15-16 C) I redact most of my own recipes for feasts and have probably done
in the neighbourhood of a dozen feasts(100-200 people). I love to help others
with their endeavors, and have begun a Cook's Guild in my shire (Starleaf
Gate-Midrealm Windsor -Ont.Canada). I don't pretend to know a whole lot, but
I enjoy what I do and work hard at it, and I like to help others do the same.

Speaking of which, we are holding a Cook's Symposium on Nov 20, 1999 here in
our shire. I will be sending in the announcement to the Pale shortly and will
be willing to email it to anyone who emails me personally. It should be alot
of fun.

I was on this list before, but couldn't keep up with all the postings (I had
my 3rd son in 5 years last December, whew!)

Currently, I am working on some unconventional theories about Roman cooking
and recipes (mainly those from Apicius) and the relationship to later
periods. I am trying to find 2 things.
1- Taillevant's work is two parts. The first part was based on earlier works
11 C manuscript. I'm trying to get an English version (cook I am, linguist I
am not ;]) of the first part of Taillevant or the earlier French manuscript.
I have an English translation of Taillevant, however the writer (James
Prescott) has mixed the two parts of T and I can't distinguish one from the
other. If anyone has any leads here I would be very grateful.

Secondly,
I am trying to find a Smithsonian article regarding the tracing back of a
Spanish Gatzpacho recipe to the Roman period. Again, if anyone has a lead on
this I would be indebted to them.

I hope I can be of service in return.

Hauviette