SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 19:58:36 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/25/99 1:56:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
THLRenata at aol.com writes:

<< What is the opinion of the food-knowledgable ones here on the Cooks list?
 Are there enough recipes out there to pick and choose the healthiest for a
 whole feast? >>

Possibly. The question that comes to mind is why bother? Although I feel
sadness for the 2 people you mention, their 'heart' problems did not arise
from eating an occasional feast. And 'good' health would not be given anyone
by serving such a feast.

<<Or should we plan on "smartening" up a few recipes?>>

Again I must ask why bother? I certainly do not feel obligated to be a
nutritionist nor a physician for anyone attending one of my feasts. The
secret to good health is a widely varied diet, regular meals and exercise.

Zimmerman was getting on in years and has had health problems for a long
time. I am not aware of the other person you speak of. I am absolutely
positive that their health problems (if they were unrelated to the natural
aging process) certainly were not caused by eating an SCA feast.

Period feasts are period feasts and if a person is that concerned about the
occasional lard then they should eat off-board. I find nothing wrong with
serving such a feast but not when it involves changing historically accurate
recipes to accommodate current modern health crazes.

Remember the natural food guru Gibbons died of cancer as did the founder of
Organic Gardening and the Father of jogging died of a heart attack while

<< Thanks!

 Renata >>

Glad to help put things in perspective. :-)

Ras