SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 26 05:07:53 PDT 1999

"ana l. valdes" wrote:

> PS_ the main difference with the Spanish recipe should in fact be the
> tomatoes, indispensable at the Spanish but imposible before the
> 15-century.

Impossible before the 15th century, I agree, but not indispensable today
by any means. There are regional variants, several of which are without
tomato. In much of northern Spain similar dishes would be thought of as
garlic soup, but in many parts of the south they're called gazpacho. Or
so I'm informed both by an article I read a few years ago (either
Natural History or National Geographic, I forget which, in an article
about Andalusia) and from the personal accounts of travellers I know.
You know - heh heh - primary sources and all that...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com