SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Sep 26 08:21:17 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 26 Sep 99,, that ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> However, unsauced, non breaded or deep
> fried fish is not what I have seen as beeing welcomed at feasts and I
> guess that's what I was alluding to. I'll try to be more specific in the
> future

The French, Spanish, and Italian cookbooks all have recipes for grilled
fish.  They are served with sauces that are flavorful, with ingredients like
bread, verjuice or vinegar, herbs and/or garlic, and are often low-fat (and
where oil is added, it would be the heart-healthy olive oil).  I have not yet
had an opportunity to serve fish at a feast, but I think I will give it a try
next time.

Brighid
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)