SC - bread

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 11:26:01 PDT 1999

Hello!

I had reasonable success earlier this year baking bread in a Dutch oven.  I
used my standard recipe that I always use at home (I won't tell you what it
is;  it's so haphazard I can hear Bear wincing from here, but it works
nevertheless), left it to rise in a greased wooden bowl (lack of other
space) and warmed up the potjie.  Greased it a little on the inside, put the
risen dough in very carefully so I didn't squish it, having taken it out of
its bowl and turned it upside down.  I deliberately turned it uspide down
for 2 reasons:  I had more control over getting it into the potjie, without
it collapsing in my fingers, and I also thought that it would continue
rising in the pot if I put the side uppermost that hadn't formed a skin.
This is precisely what happened.  I found that the coals which I piled on
top of the lid were effective, but not as effective as the ones underneath
(I changed them for hot ones whenever they seemed to need it), so after the
bread had stopped rising and formed a crust on both sides I turned it over
and let it cook the other way up.  It didn't take much longer than baking
with an ordinary oven does, though I was at an event so didn't have a watch
with me to cite actual timings.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I have a related question.  Has anyone ever cooked a pie in a
3-legged pot?  How did it work?

Cairistiona