SC - butchering rabbits

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Sep 28 06:27:38 PDT 1999

Helen asked:

>As a child, I "HELPED" (read forced),  my dad clean all his small game, but
he never let me touch rabbits as he felt they carried some illness I could
get
if I got cut or scratched while cleaning them.  So, is that true and if so,
what
was it? <

The disease is tulemia, and it occurs in wild rabbits fairly frequently- you
check the liver for spots when butchering- it can be pretty nasty. It
doesn't occur in domestic rabbits unless they come in contact with an
infected rabbit- in order to avoid it (and it occurs in squirrels, too) most
states have their rabbit and squirrel seasons after the first frost. The
easy way to deal with it is to wear rubber gloves while butchering (that's
why I brought them along for the lamb) and check the animal's liver,
pitching any that don't look healthy.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio