SC - butchering rabbits

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 28 09:01:58 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> The disease is tulemia, and it occurs in wild rabbits fairly frequently- you
> check the liver for spots when butchering- it can be pretty nasty. It
> doesn't occur in domestic rabbits unless they come in contact with an
> infected rabbit- in order to avoid it (and it occurs in squirrels, too) most
> states have their rabbit and squirrel seasons after the first frost. The
> easy way to deal with it is to wear rubber gloves while butchering (that's
> why I brought them along for the lamb) and check the animal's liver,
> pitching any that don't look healthy.

Is that before the College of Augers (Augurs? I forget) checks for
blemishes on which to prophesy?

Interesting, though. In a herding society it could bode extremely ill if
a sacrificed ovine or bovine critter had spots on its liver, then. In
theory, prophesying a plague on the local livestock and massive economic
problems for the entire society might not be too far-fetched...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com