Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: MourningSong (FWD)

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 17:54:04 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/28/99 8:40:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Everywhere I have lived, the rule was, if it is just a pot luck, you take
 home your leftovers.  If it is a funeral feast, or for someone who is ill,
or
 for the loved ones of someone who is ill, you leave the leftovers.  The
 polite thing to do in such an event is to bring the food in disposable
 containers that do not require washing >>

I agree. Being a child of a parent who had 19 children in her family and 9 in
his, we unfortunately have been to many wakes. The families are rural
French-Canadian, and Irish-Canadian. The above sums it up very well. I have
seen wakes of many forms, some at the Knights of Columbus style, in the
Church basement, at the home of the bereaved, or at friends. Once too many
they included alcohol, which was unfortunate for everyone, but seemed like
some kind of ritual to let the men get it off their chests (sorry if any one
is offended, but it was the men out there). The women seemed to hover around
their dishes and the "spread" adjusting and tidying up. I guess when we are
unsure of what to do we do what is the most sterotypical.

All in all, wakes allow people outside of the immediate family to help, bond
and feel included. All  good and necessary things.

Hauviette