SC - Graham Flour

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 29 05:50:36 PDT 1999

Jimmie.Ruthford at ramstein.af.mil wrote:

> Has anyone seen references to the use of graham flour as period?  I will
> probably still use it for a fruit tart I'm making, but I was hoping to run
> down a source.  I have a few books but don't see any reference to graham
> flour.
>
> Roibeard

Graham flour is so called for the 19th-century American physician
Sylvester Graham. On the other hand, since Graham flour is unsifted
whole-wheat flour, I'd at least expect to see it used in meat pies in
late period.

I doubt it would have been used in fruit tarts in period, though. Doughs
for tarts generally seem as though they'd be finer and richer; probably
white (or semi-white) flour with, at the very least, eggs.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com