SC - Stefan's recent wafer experiment

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 29 14:38:47 PDT 1999

At 1:29 AM -0500 9/29/99, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>So I've got a number of experiments I want to do. I think I'm going to
>be real tired of eating wafers though by the Oct. 24 event.
>
>I'm also planning on hypocras, a selection of dried fruit and comfits.
>Does anyone have any favorite hypocras recipes (I don't have any in the
>Florilegium).

Le Menagier de Paris has got some wafer recipes; I haven't worked with
them. (Cariadoc has Menagier webbed in English translation, I think someone
else has the French original webbed.) His cookbook is also the source for
our favorite hypocras recipe:

Hippocras

To make powdered hippocras, take a quarter of very fine cinnamon selected
by tasting it, and half a quarter of fine flour of cinnamon, an ounce of
selected string ginger, fine and white, and an ounce of grain of Paradise,
a sixth of nutmegs and galingale together, and bray them all together. And
when you would make your hippocras, take a good half ounce of this powder
and two quarters of sugar and mix them with a quart of wine, by Paris
measure. And note that the powder and the sugar mixed together is the
Duke's powder.

4 oz stick cinnamon
2 oz powdered cinnamon
1 oz of ginger
1 oz of grains of paradise
"A sixth" (probably of a pound:  2 2/3 oz) of nutmegs and galingale together

Grind them all together. To make hippocras add 1/2 ounce of the powder and
1/2 lb (1 cup) of sugar to 2 quarts of boiling wine (the quart used to
measure wine in Paris c. 1393 was about 2 modern U.S. quarts, the pound and
ounce about the same as ours). Strain through a sleeve of Hippocrates (a
tube of cloth, closed at one end).

Elizabeth/Betty Cook