SC - Kindergarden through 3rd

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Sep 29 20:49:54 PDT 1999

I taught a class like this a few years ago.  I remember doing lots of
recipes that were quite normal for anyone learning to cook.  The one they
seemed to get the most out of was when I did a unit on different ways to
make things rise.  I did a biscuit recipe using baking powder, a recipe
that used baking soda, a scottish fruit bread that used 5 eggs to make it
rise and a raisin bread recipe that used yeast.

I also found that my students worked well as a team and taking turns.  One
mixed, one measured the dry inqredients, one measured wet, one washed the
dishes, one dried them, etc.  There are a lot of cookbooks on the market
that are specifically designed for young children.  I would suggest trying
to match similar period recipes to ones in those books.

SIndara