SC - Dulce de leche, the ultimate digest

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Wed Sep 1 02:18:39 PDT 1999

As Southamerican girl raised by German nuns, I am used to all kind of
sausages, lot of wurst and the Spanish and Southamerican variations.
Maybe we should continue this thread in private, to avoid be accused to
be OUP.
If some are interested, I have several recipes to make own "chorizos".
But I am really not sure if wursts and Spanish chorizos are OUP, what
can Thomas and Ras and Cariadoc tell us? I have seem some Spanish recipe
to make sausages in old Spanish books, from the part of the country
dominated by the Christians.
By the way, the normal sausage in Sweden is called "Falukorv",
originally from the town of Falu. Not much meat, but a lot of flour and
additives. A blandtasting and really uninteresting sausage.
But some Southamerican inmigrants (Chileans, Argentinians, Uruguayans)
start to made their own "chorizos", spicy sausages and to sell them in
festivals, meetings and whatever. They were made at home in primitive
conditions, as chorizos is normally done.
Now the biggest manufacturers of sausages in Sweden bought the recipe
(or one of them) and started making their own industrials sausages. Now
you can find the exotical "chorizo" in all the smallish hamlets and the
use of the "Falukorv" is becaming more unusual than ever.
Speak about food uses and transformations!
Ana

Erin Kenny skrev:

> Ana wrote:
>
> <snipped lots of cool stuff>
>
> > But still, how we call it, "manja", "manjar blanco", or "dulce de leche"
> > or "dulce de cajeta", it seems to have their origin in an Arabic recipe
> > taken to Spain during the Arabic domination of Spain.
> <snip the recipe and stuff>
>
> Wow!  I considered this message a birthday present (only a week late, Ana!
> <grin>).  I have really missed manjar since coming home from Chile 11 years
> ago.
>
> For clarification, the brown caramelized stuff is called (at least in Chile)
> manjar.  The "raw stuff" -- sweetened condensed milk -- is called both
> "leche condensada" and "manjar blanco".  It would be silly to call the yummy
> brown stuff "blanco".
>
> Gee, as long as we're at it (and I know this is probably WAY off topic),
> does anyone know how to make chorizos?
>
> Claricia Nyetgale
>  (on her way upstairs to make a decadent treat she has missed for 11 years)

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med
humor