SC - RE:New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Sep 1 22:16:52 PDT 1999

heya from Anne-Marie
Ras sez:
>The process of cheddaring is OOP as far as we know. The first use of the
word
>cheddar was in 1661 CE.

That comment is either buried in the endnotes, or was removed for space
comments from the original document. *sigh*. I hate endnotes!

>If you are referring to modern amounts in recipes for pies that have been
>adapted from period recipes, I would suggest that the author either did not
>try the recipe with the amounts stated or used a considerably smaller crust
>diameter than stated. If you are referring to a period recipe, then no
>amounts are given so you can make as much of the filling as it takes to fill
>the pie.

Hence the instructions that you can double the pie filling if you like. We
actually made the reconstruction the way we did on purpose...it is better
suited to be one of many dishes in a big banquet, or to serve a smaller
number of people. When I take a pie to a potluck, though, I liek to make
more filling so it looks more generous.

thanks for the feedback!
- --Anne-Marie
PS, and every single recipe in that CA has been tested at least six times
by me, and even more times by other folks, either for banquets or in
cooking classes. I hate it when cookbook recipes dont work, and so did
everything I could to try and keep that from happening to you! :)