SC - SC Re: New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

Thu Sep 2 09:08:46 PDT 1999

Pieter Brueghel's Peasant Wedding shows pies which look suspiciously like
modern pies being carted around the table on some planking laid over two
poles.  I would say they could have been baked in a standard pie tin or a
plain tart pan.  This is Brueghel the Elder, c. 1525-1569.

Earlier woodcuts and drawings show bakers using dishes which resemble deep,
covered casserole dishes, but without explanation of precisely what is being
prepared.

IIRC, the illustrations from Scappi's Opera show some tart pans.

Bear