SC - SC: Panisses and other flat breads

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 08:53:11 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>  The fact that there are some things that people today won't eat really
>   doesn't prove that these things weren't eaten by our period forebears.
>   Flour-and-water dough is one of them. Note that I'm not saying such
>   dough was regularly eaten. But if it was, so what?

In one of the modern cookbooks I have there is piece somewhat related to this
topic.  I had seen the author several times on the TV and heard her talk
about some of the evolution of various dishes.  Sadly in the book she does
not give a bibliography :-(

" In all the cuisines of the world you will find wonderful things made with
bread dough.  In  France we call them gallettes, and they are made mostly
with a handful of bread dough topped with whatever is available.  (One of the
most curious is the Savoie gallette covered with la-crutz (skimming of the
butter one would melt for winter storage) mixed with a bit of honey.  In
Provence, the panisses are made of chick pea flour and bread dough and
flavored with wonderful Mediterranean flavorings such as orange-flower water
and anise.  In Brittany, they refine unleavened bread dough to make sweet
gallettes, first cousins to the Celtic and Viking butter shortbreads....  The
panisses of Provence may very well have been created ten thousand years ago
in one of the many early settlements along the Mediterranean that have been
studied".

Panisses with Honey and Olive Oil (OOP)
Yields apporximately 8 pannisses

3 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons orange-flower water
2 teaspoons dried orange peel
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Water as needed (approximately 1 cup)

Make a well in the flour, add the olive oil, orange-flower water, peel, salt,
honey, and dried thyme.  Add 3/4 cup of water and dissolve the honey in it.
Gradually mix all the ingredients, adding more water as needed for
consistency, until the dough holds together or forms a ball and will roll out
 like pie dough.  Put the dough to rest in the refrigerator for thirty
minutes, then roll it onto a large sheet, 1/4 inch thick if you can.  Cut
into three and a half inch circles, pull each circle to elongate it into an
oval and cut three slits in the center.  Bake in a preheated oven until
crisp, about 10 minutes.  Cool and store in tins.

(from Madeleine Cooks by Madeleine Kamman)