SC - SCA cordials ......Rum?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 3 20:36:55 PDT 1999

At 2:39 PM +0000 7/28/99, Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com wrote:
>Mordonna said <<or at least Sir Kenelm Digby who is just post period>>
>
>Actually, the publication of Digby is just post period but the creation of
>the document is period.  Digby lived & was knighted in period.

Not if you use the only definition of period that appears in the official
documents of the SCA--the reference to "pre-seventeenth century" in the
bylaws. I won't swear Digby wasn't born in the sixteenth century (I'm en
route back from Pennsic so don't have access to my library), but he
certainly wasn't knighted in the sixteenth century, and his recipes were
collected by him in the seventeenth century.

Perhaps Mary is using "period" to mean "through 1650." There is an old
verbal tradition to that effect, but so far as I know it has no official
standing.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/