SC - site fee entitlement

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 3 21:06:16 PDT 1999

Something in an old thread that caught my eye:

At 11:00 AM -0400 4/15/99, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> As I said before, Royalty get in
>free (Kingdom Law, I think, at least I hope so)

I have just the opposite reaction. Royalty should get in free because the
hosts ought to practice the medieval virtue of generosity, and because it
is appropriate to feed your liege lord. But making it kindom law converts
it from an act of generosity to a tax. That is still more true if the
people doing the work are required to subsidize not only the sovereigns but
a bunch of other people.

On the general issue of the thread, my  view is, I think, the same as
Elaina's. The SCA runs on volunteer labor. If the cook who spent eight
hours cooking the feast doesn't have to pay the site fee, why should the
volunteer who spent eight hours (spread out over several weeks) helping to
organize the feast, or the marshall who spent that long teaching fighters
(the event is a tournament, say), or the seamstress who spent it helping
people with their garb, or ... ?

On the other hand, I agree that if you are doing something that makes it
impractical to eat the feast, you shouldn't have to pay the feast fee.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/