SC - Please advise about rice & lentils

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 09:44:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/5/99 9:30:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Seton1355 at aol.com
writes:

<< Now I've just opened up a container of Abrorio rice from Texas and I found
 one dead bug.  (Grrrrr.....)>>

Yuck! :-0 :-)

<< Should I throw out the rice or wash the rice and use it? >>

Depends on what type of 'bug' you found although I would be more than a
little surprised if you actually found any bugs at all. The usual denizens of
grain products are either moths or beetles. I have never found a real bug in
any of my grain products.

Any way one INSECT is not going to spoil the batch. Pick it out. It's that
simple. The cooking process will destroy any imaginary germs. You would be
surprised to know what is allowed in your food by law. For instance, the
equivalent of 1 one rat turd to every pound of flour, etc. A typical can of
preprocessed chili contains the equivalent of one complete grasshopper in
insect parts for every can.

<< Does running under cold water clean up lentils and rice so that you don't
get sick? >>

What are you supposed to be getting sick from? Unless the insect found is a
fly or a roach or something KNOWN to carry human pathogenic organisms there
is no way you're going to get sick from eating an insect. The most that could
happen is your protein intake for the day would be increased.

Lentils and other pulses should always be washed and rinsed to remove small
stones, dirt, pieces of plant material and dead insects.

Rice is iffy. Most processed rice is coated with a substance designed to
replace a small portion of the vitamins and minerals that are lost when it is
polished. Rinsing removes this coating. Read the bag carefully and if it says
to rinse it is OK. If it says not to then don't. Of course, you can still
rinse rice whatever it says but be aware that if rice is a staple in your
hone serious nutritional disease can result from the practice of rinsing the
rice.

<< Are bugs
 unavoidable?>>

Yes, and no. Weevil eggs are inherent in most grain and bean seeds. Sometimes
they are 'treated' at the plant where they are packaged but often times they
are not. The best and only fool proof method of avoiding them is to keep your
grains and pulses in the freezer until ready for use. Some folks successfully
store things tightly covered with a bay leaf in the container. Whole foods
can be heated to kill the eggs.

I would stop by your local agricultural extension office and ask for
information on storing dry foods. It is almost always free and represents
state of the art, as well as practical, advice for the homemaker.

<< I am really grossed out!>>

To each his own. Now you know what a Hindu feels when he comes across a piece
of beef in the refrigerator.

 << I do not like bugs!!! >>

Mores the pity. Grasshoppers (mild shrimp flavor), ants (a nice tangy after
taste) and termites (creamy and nut flavored) are all VERY tasty as well as
certain beetle grubs which taste much like hazelnuts. True bugs usually do
taste pretty nasty although I do have a recipe from the Orient for water bugs.

 <<Please advise!>>

On the lentil/rice problem I have. On your getting grossed out over insects,
what can I say. The book called 'Dining with Insects' has a very good recipes
for flour weevil grubs if you are interested. Seems like you are currently
lucky enough to have the ingredients on hand to try it. AND they are Kosher.
:-)

BTW, happy new year. :-)

<< Many thanks
 Phillipa >>