SC - Re:Cheese recipies.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 7 11:07:23 PDT 1999

pat fee wrote:

> Could some please either post or tell me where to look for a period
> semi-hard cheese recipe that uses less than 2 gallons of milk.  I live in an
> aptment and I need to make this in small batches.

Digby is somewhat post-period, but his cheese recipes are pretty
straightforward and likely to represent period cheeses pretty well, too.
There isn't much difference between the cheeses in Columella and the
ones in Digby, so it seems logical that medieval ones would probably be
pretty similar.

For an excerpt of an article I wrote containing Digby's recipe for
slipcote cheese, and my notes on it, see :

http://www.ostgardr.org/cooking/ppb.html#cheese

Hoping this helps,

Adamantius
- --