SC -Lenten/Vegan ideas

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Sep 7 12:27:19 PDT 1999

At 10:07 PM -0700 9/2/99, April Abbott (Sofonisba) wrote:
>Out of curiosity, has anybody ever tried cooking a whole Lenten meal at an
>event?

I have never seen it done. There was a feast in the Middle a few years back
that claimed to be Lenten, but they cheated: they "got a dispensation" to
use cheese and eggs. I have thought of doing one at some point, but don't
think I have enough good recipes yet. Things I would do include the salmon
with wine sauce that was posted here by a couple people a while back,
Platina's fried broad beans, maybe the noodles with almond milk sauce,
potage of rapes (or maybe carrots) with a veggie broth, one of the versions
of greens in almond milk, Platina's torta of re chickpeas...

Other suggestions?

(The rules are, as far as I have been able to make out: no meat other than
fish, no milk products, including butter, no eggs. If you were seriously
doing penance or getting into the spirit of Lent, there might be other
restrictions--but in that case, you wouldn't be doing a feast anyway. The
cookbooks seem to be full of ways to keep the letter of the Lenten rules
while keeping as much luxury as possible.)

Elizabeth/Betty Cook