SC - The Color Blue

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 7 18:49:37 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/7/99 11:57:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << The sauce was made of blackberries, and
>  turned a midnight bluish purple.  When I looked at the "bluest one", it
>  still seemed rather purple with the midnight blue overtone. >>
>
> This does not seem inaccurate to me so far as an acceptable blue color. The
> word cerulean is based on the Latin caeruleus which indicates a dark blue is
> what was intended. Ids there a reason that leads you to believe the blue
> should not be as dark as it was?
>
> Ras

I'll buy this. I suspect one problem for modern readers is that their
exposure to the word "cerulean" is in department store bath shops and
such, where "cerulean blue" is a sort of washed-out pastel sky-blue.
Similarly, would you want to drink something the color most product
manufacturers call "burgundy"?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy