SC - OT - For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Sep 8 21:13:09 PDT 1999

My Laurel is Master Hal Raven.  I have been his apprentice for 4 years.  We
met over the Internet during a conversation on the Rialto about
"Apprentices to Non-peers".  Hal and I have never met and our crafts are
quite different (He is a woodworking Laurel and my crafts are beadwork and
cooking).  Hal took me as his apprentice to teach me "the fine art of being
a peer."  He and I both feel that he has done well.  I am no longer
considered to have the amount of tact as a brick through a plate glass
window.  I am less political and have accomplished more new pieces of work
in the last 2 years than in the rest of my 22 years in the SCA.  Yes Master
Hal has been in the SCA since I believe the beginning or close to it.  He
knows people in many kingdoms.  But I don't think that he has the ability
to sway anyone in any kingdom to give his apprentice a laurel.

When I lived in the East, I was on the laurel poll.  For reasons I won't
discuss, I did not get my laurel.  I had a different attitude toward the
peerage then. Now I live in Ansteorra.  A friend of mine who is a laurel
has adopted me as her foster apprentice. She has proposed me to the
Ansteorran laurels as a candidate to join their ranks.  She and others have
reported my progress to my laurel.  I feel I have now benefited from his
teachings and the attention paid me by the laurels of Ansteorra (Who have
been quite encouraging and full of very helpful suggestions).

As I said before, I think it is a matter of personal preference.  Some
people feel that to be a really good teacher, a laurel needs to be close by
to see the progress.  Others like Master Hal and my deer friend Mistress
Katherine Goodwin feel otherwise.

Now I hope I haven't offended anyone or inserted my foot in mouth.

Sindara