SC - Re:Cheese recipies.

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 22:09:56 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/9/99 12:55:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Many of the recipes are for soft cheeses, but I imagine most of these can
 be turned into semi-hard cheeses through more draining and aging.<<

Yes, can make continue the process to make hard cheeses.  You will need a
press.  You will also need a temperature controlled area.  Certain
mold/friendly bacteria need certain temperature to survive.  Read Cheese
making made easy by Rickki Carroll.  Just got it today.  Also check out New
England Cheese supply on the net.  Very helpful.

<< Also, from what I've been hearing, only a small portion of this milk turns
 into cheese. If your concern is storing the cheese, then it will be much
 smaller than 2 gallons or 2 litters of milk.  >>

You will get pax one LB of cheese.  It varies with what you are making.

 >>If the problem is storing the
 milk until you make cheese out of it, then perhaps you should buy it on
 the day you plan to make cheese from it.  <<

Fresh milk is very important.  Do not use homogenized milk.  Do not open the
milk until ready to use as to advoid unfriendly bacteria contaminating the
cheese.

Hope this helps

Frederich