SC - sweetened goat cheese dessert

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 06:46:01 PDT 1999

>Bonne mentioned:
> >  Dessert was sweetened goat cheese (not terribly sweet, too tangy
> > for some) and bisket bread (not very sweet cake like object.)
>
>Do you have a recipe for this sweetened goat cheese dessert? I would think
>honey, but I'm not too sure of the quantity. Are you mixing it in and then
>chilling it again or just serving it? How did you serve it? As a spread or
>as some kind of cheese ball? Hmm, rolled in nuts? Any evidence that this
>is period?

Yep, it exists in period.  Thomas Longshanks of somewhere in Atlantia is
working on a translation of a Spanish cookbook.  He came to our local Cooks
& Poisoners guild meeting last winter and made this for us. He allowed me to
use his recipe, but asked that it not be published as he intends to publish
a book.

That said, I have seen others referencing a spanish cookbook here.  If those
with access to a Spanish cookbook would look for something called "mato" and
post it if it involves fresh goat cheese, sugar and a flower water, I could
confirm or deny the similarity to the recipe I used.

We served it to each table mounded on a small plate and surrounded by
violets that would have been candied, but didn't make it that far.  We also
passed plates of bisket bread flavored with cardomom (Fettiplace).  Goat
cheese is one of those things people will turn their noses up at, so we left
it to those who liked it or were willing to try it to figure out combining
the two.

Bonne