Fire tools- was Re: SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat to be used in

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Sep 9 08:46:49 PDT 1999

Frederich skrev:

>Perhaps  this would make a wonderful fall feast.  Cook it in a large open
kettle over a fire all day.  Server it in trenchers will ale or mead.  Hey
Margali, any ducks I can have?  Anyone have any Venison I can borrow?

That's what I was thinking. I've been working with Duke Andrew on designs
for more and better cooking stuff- one of the items is one of those tripods
which can convert to a spit, but I need square stock for it, and I'm having
trouble finding it. Could you call around your area, see how much 1/2" or
5/8" square hot rolled stock costs? I also will need some input from my
fellow cooks- what would be a good height for a tripod to hold a large
cauldron? Initially, I was thinking 5' lengths, making the peak of the
tripod about 4- 4 1/2 feet over the fire, with a chain to adjust it up and
down, but if we want to use a really big cauldron, we might want to use 6'
lengths and heavier stock- maybe 3/4". I'm thinking too, of making little
forks to hold a large roast in place, and perhaps a lock-ratchet-type thing
so we can hold the roast in place in various positions for cooking over the
fire. For starters, though, I'll go with the smaller pieces and we can test
them out at next Pennsic.

So far, I've got another grill like the one I gave Ras, two improved
versions of the swing arm grill, a poker, and a tripod planned- anything
else we might need or want? Tell me now- most of what I want to make is
pretty simple, goes fast on the forge, and I'd like to get things planned
ahead of time, instead of trying to work on a 1500 degree forge in 92 degree
heat, with 85% humidity, like I did this year just before War. Just this can
be turned out on a weekend.

Margali, I also need to know exactly what you want.

And what will we be wanting to use to cook in? Modern cooking vessels are
all very good for experimenting, but as we get things set up, I'd like to
see if we can get period or at least period-like pots to use.

Hroar- what can you find us on clay vessels to set by the fire?

As far as ducks and venison, Ducks are easy to buy- or we could go for a
goose, or both.  Can't hunt them in this area though- it's a protected area,
so we'll have to buy them......unless my friends provide me with some more
duck and goose breasts this winter.  Venison will have to wait until we see
how my luck is this hunting season.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio