SC - Judge's Mouthfuls-a recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 9 21:20:38 PDT 1999

Ras and Nanna wrote:

> <<Then it is indeed Lokma (Greek name Loukmades; some of you may be
>  familiar with that). Lokma means small sweet, mouthful or something like
>  that. >>
>
> I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Celts did extensive trade in the
> Mediterranean area, IIRC. And there are assorted theories regarding the
> Celt/Greek relationship because of a similarity in things like graphic
> design, etc.
>
> <<But all the recipes I have are for a thick batter that is left to
>  stand until doubled, >>
>
> Without too much imagination the Luqam recipe might be able to be interpreted
> as a very thick batter, I suppose. The instructions do say to 'take' off
> pieces which I chose to interpret as 'pulling' but would work just as well if
> teaspoonfuls were taken and dropped into the fat. Since I don't have access
> to the original language and do not know how to contact Charles Perry to ask
> for possible alternative translations, I cannot know the possibilities here.

The recipes I've seen for modern Loukamades are for a soft yeast dough,
squeezed out and pinched off by the handful with oiled hands, in a
motion similar to milking a cow.  The purpose of this technique is, I
gather, to maximize the forming of a gluten membrane outside each piece,
resulting in an extremly crispy crust when fried. This wouldn't be
achieved, in theory, by using a spoon. Of course this is then obviated
by pouring a syrup over the whole thing. Go figure.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com