SC - Laurel vs Pelican for cooking

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 10:38:49 PDT 1999

Please let me throw my 2 cents in here.
    Yes, when feeding hungry people you are doing a service. BUT developing
the recipes, putting together a menu, cooking the food so that it is a
pleasure to eat, arranging good *looking* food on the platter, working out
the cooking times and methods and the serving order etc so that everything
comes out hot at the same time......THAT'S an ART!!!
    Let me take the chocolate cake I just made as an example.  I followed a
recipe step by step.  I've made this cake before.  I followed the icing
recipe step by step.  I've made the icing before. This time the icing came
out a bit too thin, and stayed a bit too thin no matter what I did.
    I iced the cake and my skill is getting better, but this cake is not so
pleasing to the eye, nor the icing so pleasing to the tongue as my mother's
would be. Every cake she makes is a work of art and a treat to eat.  SHE has
the nack of it.  The skill and the artistic sense that I have not yet
mastered.  If service were the object here (Pelican) than I would be well
pleased because I know my family will eat a chocolate cake....because it is
....well, chocolate.  I have served them.  But have I mastered the ART of
baking and presenting a beautiful masterpiece.......sigh, no!
    Oh well, back to the drawing board!  My vote (if anyone is asking) is
that our cooks deserve a Laurel over a Pelican.
Respectfully,
Phillipa]

<< service is that which serves. Feeding people is a service.
 Feeding people well is the same service.  >>