SC - RE: Onions

Sat Sep 11 12:58:22 PDT 1999

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know what a "Welsh onion" is? Other than an onion that
> Charlemagne
> > at least, thought came from Wales?
>
> I believe Flower and Rosenbaum refer to Welsh onion in the translation
> of Apicius, who would certainly not have known them as such, so
> presumably Charlemagne didn't either. I believe they're a long-bladed
> onion somewhere in between what we'd think of as a scallion or green
> onion, which some people call shallots, and an actual shallot, the
> purplish kind. If you've seen full-grown ramps they're pretty similar.
>
> Adamantius

Root identifies Welsh onion as Allium fistulosum.  It is a primative form of
onion which does not form a bulb, but has the bottom part of its stem
thicken.  The name is a corruption of a German word meaning foreign.  The
Welsh onion did not arrive in Wales until 1629.

The German word is probably related to welsch, meaning roughly southern or
to or from the southern lands (Roman, Latin, French, Italian. etc.).

Bear