SC - trenchers

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 12 01:21:31 PDT 1999

Stefan,

	When I did trenchers for a small feast a couple of years ago, I made
the bread in my bread machine and got about 4 good slices per loaf- the
whole wheat dough had a tendency to sink in the middle, and I lost to
bottom slice to the kneader bar. Laid them out in the attic for a day or
so to dry a little. They were great- one slice would hold about one
portion of any dish, so things 'fit' quite well.
	The manners/serving books do talk about trimming the loaf to make
proper trenchers, and many of them appear to come out square. And most
of them a whole grain, except for the very very highest of folk, who get
fine white flour- aesthetic, I suppose, as the white flour bread doesn't
hold up as well.
	I have seen flat breads of all sorts and foccachia used as trenchers,
and while they might look cool, I don't think they really get anywhere
near what the medieval diner found in front of him.

'Lainie
channeling for Queen Carmen who would just as soon eat the lettuce
straight out of the garden...