SC - Re: Trenchers

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 07:39:03 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous writes

<<However, do you have any evidence to trenchers ever being round? The
pictures
I've seen all show the trenchers to be almost square, with the crust cut
off on all sides. I believe there are some period instructions on cutting
trenchers that also support this.>>

I have seen pictorial representations of hexagonal and octagonal trenchers,
both in feast scenes depicted on monumental brasses from late fourteenth
century Northern Germany.  One of these, "The Peacock Feast", is reproduced
in _Fast and Feast_, B. A. Henisch, pp. 230, 231.  The brass itself is in
England (St. Margaret's Church, King's Lynn, where I've seen it in person),
but was made in Germany and imported.  The other brass is that of a German
bishop, which I have only seen in a reproduction (from which I took a
rubbing).

Rudd Rayfield