SC - Early Spanish Feast - Part 2

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 13 11:53:35 PDT 1999

As an addendum here is a little bit more about this event. This was
taken off our web site for Feast of the Hare.

Micaylah

****************************

Our event focuses on voyages, pilgrimages and conflict in the Spanish
Peninsula (Iberia) during the 9th century. The Moors have been in
power for a century. Charlemagne was asked to support one group of
Saracens against their enemies (other Moslems), but abandoned his
expedition in Spain to fight the Saxons - in about 778, the rear-guard
of his army was set upon by a treacherous party of Basques (the
Chanson de Roland). At about the same time (810-830), the tomb of St.
James was rediscovered and the pilgrimage site of Santiago de
Compostella was established.

There is much fighting going on: Christian against Moor, Moor against
Moor, Frank against Saxon, Basque against all comers (not much has
changed in 1200 years)! There are also quests and pilgrimages,
particularly to Santiago de Compostella.