SC - Almond Paste

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Sep 14 08:11:16 PDT 1999

In a message dated 09/14/1999 12:30:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<<
 Interesting. I've seen descriptions here on making almond milk that talked
 of grinding the almonds in blenders or food processors. Would using a coffee/
 spice grinder to get finer almond particles instead of the blender or food
 processor yield more almond milk from the same amount of almonds?

    Possibly......... I haven't tried a comparison! I usually just use the
blender, since it's easier to mix in the water there, anyway. But then, I
tend to leave the almond bits in whenever I can get away with it, anyway,
since I hate to waste them, and am lazy enough not to like to strain the
liquid........ ;-) Works fine in some cases--like the other night, when I
cooked some greens (kale) for dinner while at my folk's house. My mom is
allergic to milk, so I whizzed some almonds and water in the blender until
mostly ground, and simmered the kale in that until it had mostly evaporated.
Seasoned with salt, nutmeg, and hot pepper flakes, I think it surprised
everyone how good they were! ;-) The crunchy chunks of unblended almond added
a nice texture to the soft greens.

            Ldy Diana