SC - Walking onions revisited-info- long response.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 15 10:27:55 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> I have a similar problem in my area with usage of the word "mango". One of
> the more common names for the sweet bell pepper in this area is "mango",
> although most of us on this list are well aware that that's the name usually
> used for a specific tropical fruit. Dunno why they call it that here,
> though, unless it's because the ones around here are so big, and when they
> change colors, they look a lot like a picture of a mango in a book.

Ooooh!! Oooooh! I know this one. (More or less...)

I've been told that nineteenth-century American sailors would bring, or
have shipped, back from their various tropical voyages, pickled mangoes.
Whether they were ripe or not I don't know, but green, unripe mangoes
are pretty commonly eaten in places like Puerto Rico, with hot sauce, of
all things (and pretty yummers they are, too!)

In any case, nineteenth-century and early 20th-century American
cookbooks are rife with recipes for green pepper mangoes, faux pickled
mangoes made by stuffing green peppers with shredded cabbage, carrots,
onion and such, and pickling the whole thing. Another little
semi-relevant factoid is that vinegar, in contact with a semi-ripe Bell
or other sweet pepper, would tend to dull the green portions to a sort
of olive-drab shade, while brightening the red portions, which might add
to the mango illusion. And a mango does have a slightly tough shell,
something like an avocado, with softer, more edible pulp inside, which
might be seen to be recalled by the pickled green pepper mango.

Anyway, by extension, green peppers are sometimes known as mangoes,
probably for this reason, along similar lines to my son calling
cumcumbers "pickles".

I actually have a recipe somewhere, if anyone cares...Phlip, you could
make them with fresh poblanos.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy